If only there was a quick fix to “get more volunteers.” Church leaders continue to ask what they can say or do to convince people to serve. What are the best recruitment methods? How do I get more people to say, yes? Inspiring people for volunteer service requires more than a new sales pitch. Activating people into the life of the church involves making changes to the foundation—the culture. Culture is the soil that prepares people for service involvement.
In their book Why Nobody Wants to Go to Church Anymore, Thom and Joani Schultz state the fact that every year 2.7 million church members fall into inactivity—they go underground. And, as you’ve probably already noticed, church attendance is shrinking. While 40% of Americans say they attend church every week, the actual number is more like 20%.
Oddly, while the rate of church activity and volunteering declines, volunteerism overall in our country has held its own. Volunteering is actually very popular right now. It’s become the standard for corporate America from Chick fil-A to Wal-Mart, from Target to IBM.
David Abney, CEO of United Parcel Service, has announced that their company has pledged 20 million hours of global volunteerism and community service by the end of 2020. He stated, “Volunteerism has always been an integral part of our company culture.”
“Part of our company culture.”
Culture is the key to raising the level of volunteer involvement. Does your church culture invite people to serve, or does it turn them off?
Group’s Equipping Institute has developed the course, “Creating a Thriving Volunteer Culture.” It examines what keeps people from engaging in the church, but more importantly, what may help plug them back in.
This training examines:
• The four reasons people give for not wanting to get involved with church
• Barriers which may exclude people from volunteering
• On-ramps for quick service placement
• How to direct a volunteer to an area that matches their gifting
• The value of volunteer training, coaching, and reflection
• When it may be necessary to fire a volunteer, and how to do it
• How to help people experience God through their ministry involvement
• Leadership qualities and behaviors necessary to becoming an agent of change
You can bring this course to your church and train your entire leadership team. We’re now scheduling summer and fall dates for 2017. Click Here for the details or call 800-267-9040.