I think, we’d all agree that personal connection with our volunteers is a must! The better we know them, the better equipped we are to lead them. It’s up to us to initiate conversation with our teams and take time to listen.
Here are a few simple questions to get the conversation started…
- What do you enjoy most about serving?
- What ideas do you have that might improve your ministry area?
- What makes you feel appreciated and valued?
- How can I support you better?
- Are there other roles/ministry you might want to try in the future? What is holding you back?
Don’t ask these questions with an agenda or answers already in mind. The goal is to encourage your volunteer that you want to hear their thoughts and welcome their ideas.
*As a leader, which of these questions would be most difficult to ask? Why? Which would be most difficult to answer?