Currently, my Facebook feed is a flurry of photos from my VBS friends in ministry, sharing their incredible decorations. VBS Directors are the most creative people on the planet! Who else can make a theme come to life using only pool noodles, cups, scrap lumber, and leftover paint?
We’d never forget to prepare the physical space for VBS, so let’s give the same attention to the spiritual space.
Talk to God—and listen to him—about his plans for that week of ministry.
Lay our worries at the feet of Jesus.
Invite Jesus to be part of the fun and excitement.
Here are a few specific ways to pray for VBS, inviting God to make this a powerful week of ministry.
- Pray for open hearts. In Matthew 13, Jesus shares the story of a farmer scattering seeds. The seeds that fell on good soil thrived, producing a harvest beyond the farmer’s wildest dreams! Ask God to begin preparing kids’ hearts, softening them and opening them to take in the “seeds” of God’s Word.
- Pray for relationships. When VBS kids build friendships with other kids and loving adults, it creates an open door for them to begin or deepen their friendship with Jesus. Go through your registration list and “pray” the name of each child, asking God to bring a special, surprising friendship into that child’s life during VBS.
- Thank God for families. Parents or caregivers are usually the ones who get kids in the door of your program. They’ve signed kids up and will likely be bringing them each day. Thank God for sending each family your way! Thank God for parents, grandparents, or even babysitters who love him and want kids to know and love him, too.
- Pray for wise staff members. Crew Leaders or small group leaders hear a lot about what kids are going through, what’s on their minds, how they’re struggling, and what worries they have. Ask God to pour his wisdom into your leaders as they interact with kids, giving them the right words and actions to reflect the heart of God.
- Listen. Spend several minutes in silence, listening for the plans God has for your VBS. His plans may be a little different from yours! Maybe you want huge numbers…but God just wants a certain person to be there. You may have visions of everything running perfectly…but God is going to do amazing things through “imperfect” circumstances. Rest in God’s hands, and give your program to him.
Prayer is just as important as flashy posters, a dazzling stage, or all the bells and whistles. Take time to make prayer part of your prep…then get ready to see what God has in store!