VBS is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, outreach activities your church does every year. The parents come, they drop off their kids, and they leave. Some of these parents are regular attendees, some come now and then, and for some—this is the first time they’ve stepped into your church.
No matter how involved those parents are or aren’t, use this opportunity to minister and reach out to them. Here’s how…
- Give parents a boost. Invite them to stay for your VBS opening, or invite them to return and participate in the closing. I’m a parent, and it’s an amazing experience to watch my kids as they’re on fire for Jesus! It energizes me and makes me feel alive.
- Send parents off with encouragement. Put together a short devotional that encourages parents. Need ideas for this? Check out the Lifetree Family newsletter. It provides awesome encouragement and tips for parents of elementary kids.
- Invite parents to sign up for your moms’ group or adult studies. Here are just a few of the resources that can help them develop a relationship with each other and with God:
- Get moms together for a one- to two-hour event using Mom Squad mini-event kit. This event helps moms connect with each other and realize the unique gifts God has given them as they’re being refilled and refreshed. The kit also includes a How to Start a Moms’ Ministry booklet!
- Start a moms’ program, or add to the one you already have. Where Moms Connect is a moms’ ministry resource that encourages moms through their journey of motherhood. Plus, it’s for moms with kids of all ages! That means moms with babies, moms with teenagers, and grandmas!
- For your adult programming, check out the Lifetree Small Group Series and Fearless Conversation Bible studies. Both these resources are designed to help adults grow in their relationships with each other as they never have before. They invite authenticity and vulnerability in ways that help adults see God at work in their lives and the lives of others.
- The Lifetree Small Group Series is a video-based resource that offers real-life, compelling stories about topics adults want to talk more about, such as facing fears, the Bible, forgiveness, overcoming hardships, and more.
- Fearless Conversation is a Bible study series that helps adults tackle tough questions about God and faith. It helps groups create a safe place where they can engage in thoughtful conversation and dig into the Bible as the source of truth.
I love what you’re doing for the kids in your ministry and your neighborhood through VBS! Both my kids made the decision to give their lives to God as a result of VBS. You’re a part of something so big. Hang in there! You’re doing a great job. God loves you, and he’s smiling down on you right now. You. Are. Amazing! What are you doing to engage parents during VBS? Let me know in the comments below!